Friday, March 25, 2011

When Gators Come Knocking

This post is by Ed (with a little editing by Linda)

I never seem to have my camera on hand when I need it.  Thus I don't have any pictures to show you this time.

I was in bed, taking a nap and I heard all these people talking under my window.  Wondering what is going on, I raised my shade to take a peek.  I asked, "what's going on?"  I made one of the boys jump, he was that close to my window.  They said they were trying to catch a gator. 

One ranger was taping him, with a stick, on the snout, while another ranger was trying to lasso him.  He must have done this before because he lassoed him on the first try.  Looked like Roy Rogers, he did that good of a job.

Than the gator was flipping and flopping like a bass thrown on the ground.  First he tried to go left and then right and then he headed toward the ranger.  Then the Ranger starts  jumping.

So I leap out of bed, trying to find my glasses, pants and the camera.  By the time I get outside, there are about 15 to 20 people watching the show.  I am out there with no shoes, no shirt, only my pants on.  Than I see 3 or 4 guys out there with no shirts on either.  They must have rushed out also.  If I could have got out sooner, I could have taken a video of it. 

When I finally did get out there, the rangers were dragging him down the trail to the river with the golf cart.  Someone said that was the second time they had caught him in that spot that week.  They try to keep them away from the RV's.  They probably don't want them snatching someone's dog.

That was today and than I had another encounter 2 days ago.

I am sitting in the river looking for shark teeth.  That has become my favorite pastime at Peace River.  Looking up I saw an alligator crossing the river to the bank on the other side, about 50 yards from me. 

I was thinking  "how cool is this, sitting in a river with gators roaming free around me."  I was also thinking about  the gators in this area. They must have a hard time because there are people in the river all the time looking for fossils.  We are invading their territory.  Also in this area are two otters, which I have seen several times. 

I was savoring the moment when I realized there were some people on the other side of the gator that hadn't noticed him.  I hollared a couple of times to tell them.  One girl about 13 or 14 said, "Are you serious?"  I don't think they believed me. 

Another woman joined the group.  She started walking toward where I was.  I looked up and the gator was off to the right of her about 20 yards. So I hollar at her to get her attention.  She says, "What?"  I say, "Gator!"  She says, "Where?"  I said, "Off to your right."  She says, "Oh my God!"  I told her the gator wouldn't hurt her, they are docile.  She says, "You could have told me."  I said, "That is what I am doing."  duh!

The RVers and tourist are scared of them, yet fascinated by them.   When there is a sighting everyone in running to see them.

Experiencing Nature first hand  and loving every minute of it !     ED

No comments:

Post a Comment