Thursday, March 10, 2011

Snorkling with the Manatees

It has been a busy week, or two.  Where has the time went?

On February 28 we went snorkeling with the Manatees.  I was excited and scared, because I am not much of a water person.  I was expecting the clear water you see in the ads.  Well it was disappointing in that the water was really muddy.  So you could only see the manatee when it stuck it's head out of the water.  There wasn't much snorkeling.  All you could see was muddy water. 


There is  a manatee in this picture, it was up against the wall.  You can see how muddy the water was.  That is me on the right side.  I floated on a life vest. 


I have to say I did enjoy it even though it was a disappointment.  The wet suits really helped.   I think I could get into this snorkeling thing.  I was just glad we hadn't paid the full price of $110.  We got it through Groupon for $50. 

We drove to Crystal River on the west side of Florida to do the snorkeling. It was over 80 miles from our campground so I thought we should do something else in the area.   On the way home we came across Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park.  So we decided to check it out.   A boat took us back to where the animals are.  This park has over 3000 volunteers. 

very nice boat ride


This is a house built for the wood duck to build their nest.  The duck flies in, hits the back wall, falls down and stays there until her babies are ready to leave the nest.

Most of the animals in this park had been hurt and could not live in the wild except for the vultures who come in for the food.  There was not much they could do about them.
Vultures
I've never seen so many Flamingos in one spot except maybe in someones yard.  There were so many I couldn't get them all in the picture.

Greater Flamingo

 Sandhill Crane

         I thought this one was esp. pretty.   Roseate Spoonbill

     Osprey "Fishhawk"
     
Needless to say we had a very nice couple of hours.  We also got to see some Manatees.  The ones here were huge.

Manatee


The Park had one honarary state citizen

The hippo was here before it became a park for only native Florida wildlife.  It was going to be transfered, so the locals took up a petition and  he was made a honarary citizen so he could stay in park.


HAPPY TRAILS      ED and  LYN

No comments:

Post a Comment