Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Where Did Our Warm Weather Go?

We left the Palm Springs TT park a couple of days ago.  We went south about 50 miles.  So how come it is so cold?  We went from 75 to 80 degree weather to 60 degrees.  I just don’t understand how can we be further south and be so cold.  Plus yesterday it rained all day.  Oh well, when I look at Elkhart’s temperature and see it has a high of 42, I am still glad to be here.

I will have more pictures of the park later but these are a couple Ed took.  The park is built around a canal and there are geese and ducks everywhere.  I sat down on a bench and these 2 were on the other side.  They came across and started walking up to me.  I think they wanted fed.




Ed saw this t-shirt and asked if he could take a picture of it.


Ed says this is the way he feels
Before we left Palm Springs we wanted to visit Mount San Jacinto State Park.

.

The neat thing about this was we had to take the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway to get there.  The video we saw said this is the 8th wonder of the the world.  It has  the “world’s largest rotating tram cars.”  It is a 10 minute, 2 1/2 mile trip and it starts at an elevation of 2,643 feet and takes you  to an elevation of 8,516 feet.   The cost with our senior discount was $21 each and considering we are in California and everything is expensive, I didn’t think this was a bad price.


looking up you will see another platform, it was almost like
being on a Disney ride

This is in the tram looking back at the station


As one tram goes down it pulls the other tram up

When you get to the top you are in an Alpine wilderness with a couple feet of snow.  Kids were sledding and building snowmen.






Looks like I was playing in the snow
I knew it was going to be colder so we took jackets and I took gloves. They said to expect it to be about 30 degrees colder but some people must not have known that.  They were in shorts and flip flops.


They said the kids weren't cold
From here was a look out point.  It was about 1 mile to get here.  It was a little bit of an ascent plus trudging through the snow to get here.  I was a huffing and a puffing, but I made it.



The view was fantastic
The views going up and coming down were great. Inside the tram the floor rotates.  The bad thing is the rail you are hanging onto doesn't.  So you have to let go.  Going up there was this guy that was leaning on me the whole way.  The Tram holds 80 people, and they really pack you in there.  That was one of the things I didn't like.  Going up we were on the outer edge but coming down we were on the inside.  When we were coming down I couldn’t see much  because there were people in front of me.

They really pack you in
On our way to the Tramway we went by these windmills.  They always fascinate me.  If you look in the second picture you will see 2 trucks.  Just shows you how big they are.

When you see them there are always so many
This was just one section

These things are gigantic
Notice the trucks at the bottom
For all of you that have teenagers, Ed took this picture for you.





HAPPY TRAILS!    ED and LYN

2 comments:

  1. we took the tram on saturday- what a fun day!
    we leave Palm Springs on Sunday and head to Death Valley by way of Barstow.
    where are you headed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still at the Thousand Trails Wilderness Lakes Park in Me nifee, Ca for 2 more weeks. From here we are scheduled to go to another Thousand Trails in Jamul, Ca.

    We enjoyed that day also.

    ReplyDelete